LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Marsiling Market

We spent 14 happy years in Marsiling. People used to make fun of me for staying in Marsiling. One person told me rather loftily that he would never move to Marsiling because the crime rate there was too high. Another person asked in all seriousness, "Given your husband's job and position, does his employer allow him to live in Marsiling?" In all seriousness too, it did not seem to me that my husband was a very important man at all, so that question was perplexing. The Husband and I were both mid level managers, like millions of others in the country. 

The person's remark sort of gave me the impression that only the lowest of the low should be staying in Marsiling.

Thank God I am immune to social disapproval and oblivious of social norms. I shrugged it off and told myself, "Those who care about where we stay, don't matter to us. Those who matter, don't care about where we stay." As a result, we spent so many happy years in our Marsiling flat. You can see photos of it HERE.

I went back to Marsiling today to eat the world's best appam, and took the opportunity to relish memories. 

This grass field used to be a bus interchange.

This roti prata stall has been there for more than 25 years.

Our daughter used to go in here and pick her own buns.

See the old style biscuit bins?

This place has been on Fire Sale or Closing Down Sale every day of the year for more than 25 years.

The unlikely duo: Underwear and TCM herbs.

The world's best appam at Marsiling Market.

I like my appam with curry, not coconut sugar. The appam is an Indian crêpe made of rice flour and coconut milk. It has crispy edges and a soft, fluffy middle. It is normally eaten with coconut sugar but I like to dip mine in curry.



No comments: