LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Black Heaven in a Pot

All in the pot!

All done! Looks kinda disgusting huh?

I am taking very seriously the advice of the TCM practitioner to put myself on a post-natal confinement diet. I went and made myself a pot of pig's trotters in black vinegar. This is not a dish people stay indifferent to. One either LOVES it or HATES it, with vigor.

I love it. It's addictive. It's hot and spicy and sour and sweet all at once. After one spoonful of the sauce, you want another spoonful... and another spoonful... and another spoonful. It's like Mardi Gras on your tongue, with music that shimmies up your nose and takes your brain in a giant bear hug. It wakes you up... warms you up... and makes your hands and feet tingle. Yup! That's what it does.

I bought 2 front trotters (because these are very meaty) and 1 back trotter for the gelatin and cartilage. There's 800g of old ginger in there together with 375ml bottle of sweet rice vinegar, 375ml bottle of black rice vinegar, 250g of brown sugar and 200 g of molasses. I added salt to taste.

It was kinda half braised at lunch but I couldn't wait. I downed a large bowl of it with rice. Just now, I asked the helper to deliver a bowl to Mother-in-law next door and I could hear squeals of drooling ecstasy from over here.

The next dish I am making is Cognac Black Chicken essence. I wonder why everything is black. Maybe the ancient Chinese thought black is powerful. Hmmmmm...



Hopefully 1 month of such foods will give me my mojo back... and as my husband said, "It's important to get well so that you can get your life back!" Yes. I want my life back. I don't want to live the next 3 decades as a half corpse wandering about the house with no zest nor energy, tired and faint in a cold sweat, after a mere 30 minutes of shopping!!

I want my mojo back!!


8 comments:

Karmeleon said...

One of my confinement ladies (hmmm. the only one i've had actually) - she used to make that cognac chicken for me to drink every night. She would leave it in the pot to double-boil before she leaves for the day so I could drink it at bedtime. Lovely.

I found a quick perk-me-up for times when I wanted something quicker. Heat up a 1/2 cup of DOM to boiling point. Then add a bottle of chicken essense. Just drink up.

Celine said...

Way to go, Austin(a) Powers! Grin.

I love confinement food too! Too heavy and rich for me when I stopped breastfeeding though. Sigh....

Wen-ai said...

I love, love, love black trotters in black vinegar! It is my favorite confinement dish of all time. Hmm, ok, time to cook a pot this week. ;)

Blur Ting said...

You have got to get your mojo back my dear. It is important to eat well now if we want to live to 90 years!

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - This confinement diet works beautifully! I'm feeling way more energetic than I have in a long long time!!

Petunia Lee said...

Karmeleon - Eeeee... I don't like Dom. But I will remember this. One must sometimes eat stuff that one dislikes.

Petunia Lee said...

Celine - Yeah babeeeee!

Petunia Lee said...

Wen-Ai : **High 5**